What is Canvas?
Canvas is the universities online learning platform. Courses from across all of OSU’s campuses can be found here; including OSU Stillwater, Tulsa, Oklahoma City and Okmulgee. Canvas allows instructors to post the online portions of traditional classes or teach fully online classes. Community sites are gathering spaces for functions that are academically related. Video recording capabilities are also offered in Canvas through use of the product Studio.
Not every instructor chooses to use Canvas. Instructors inform students if they use Canvas when classes begin
Canvas provides access to courses and communities offered at Oklahoma State. It can be accessed through https://my.okstate.edu or directly through https://canvas.okstate.edu. There is also a mobile app in the Android and Apple app stores for access to Canvas.
Students use Canvas to access the online portions of their classes. Course sites that instructors fully utilize can have many of the following features:
- New announcements
- Folders for each week of study that includes PowerPoint slides, assignments, extra reading, links to websites and videos, and more
- Discussion boards host discussion topics that students can use any time day or night
- Dropbox for posting assignments
- Quizzes and Exams
- Classlist - a list names and email addresses of students, instructors, and teaching assistants
- Grades - a place to see one's own grades
- And more
Instructors use Canvas to set up the online portion of the classes they teach. They also use it to:
- Interact with students in the Discussions area
- Receive assignments
- Enter grades
- Get usage tracking data
- And more
Community sites are those set up for academically related activities, such as advising, interest groups, and departmental matters. Community sites will be included in the existing course list available to users.
- Canvas can be accessed through the following methods.
- The first page is called “Dashboard.” Dashboard is where you will access your pinned courses.
- On the left hand navigation bar is “Courses.” Courses will show you all courses and Communities you are currently enrolled in. They will be split out by Current, Past, and Future enrollments. You can select to pin courses to your Dashboard from here.
- Additional student resources are available here:https://osuonline.okstate.edu/Canvas.vbhtml
- See https://itle.okstate.edu/canvas.html
- Contact the Institute of Teaching and Learning Excellence at 405-744-1000.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Where can I get immediate help with a canvas issue?
Login to Canvas and click the Help Button on the lower left. Select Chat with Canvas Support.
- What is a CRN?
A CRN is the number associated with your course assigned to you by the Registrar. It is a 5-digit number used to identify the course in Canvas. Example: MSIS-2103-27696 instead of MSIS 2103. This can be found at the top left of the course’s page in Canvas.
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
See the following link for the latest browser support https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10720-which-browsers-does-canvas-support which is updated frequently.
- Why can’t I see or click on my courses in Canvas?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to see your course.
- On the left hand navigation bar is “Courses.” Courses will show you all courses and
Communities you are currently enrolled in.
- If the course is not "Published" you will not be able to access them until the instructor publishes the course.
- If it is before or after the course start dates you will not be able to access them.
- If you just enrolled in the course it can take up to a few days for your enrollment to reflect in the course.
- On the left hand navigation bar is “Courses.” Courses will show you all courses and Communities you are currently enrolled in.
- Why can’t I get into my course after the last day of the course?
The day after the course closes students cannot view the course, this is something that effects short courses as well. Canvas only allows students with an incomplete status set by the instructor to view course after it is closed.
- How can I view my grades after my course closes?
Grades can be monitored from your Student area in https://my.okstate.edu.
- I can only see my Canvas Icon on my screen and nothing else.
It means the screen is zoomed in. CTRL+0 should resize it to normal.
Are there additional resources where I can read more about Canvas?
Yes, the parent company of Canvas (Instructure) offers complete guides for students learning Canvas features which can be found here:
- I need additional help with a 3rd party app in Canvas, do you have a link to the vendor support page?
- How can I fix my display name in Canvas?The name field in Canvas is dependent on the ‘Preferred First Name’ field in O-Key. Instructions for updating your Preferred First Name can be found here: https://it.okstate.edu/services/orange-key-account-services/preferred-first-name.html
How can I add an Auditing Student to a Class in Canvas?
Initial enrollment in a course as an auditor may be completed only between the first and the tenth class day (inclusive) of a 16-week semester and proportionate periods for shorter sessions by submitting a completed Audit Enrollment Form to the Office of the Registrar on the Stillwater campus, or the Enrollment Services office on the Tulsa campus.
NOTE: Additional information regarding Auditing may be found at https://registrar.okstate.edu/registration_enrollment/#audit