Microsoft Teams is the center piece for collaboration in Office 365. Microsoft Teams
offers services for chat, audio and video meetings, and collaborative file sharing.
Microsoft Teams integrates with the Office 365 subscription applications and other
products via extensions. Watch an introduction video to Microsoft Teams.
Why is Microsoft Teams important to OSU?
Microsoft Teams provides staff, faculty and students with the tools needed to come
together, stay engaged, organized and keep communications and information moving to
Why is Microsoft Teams replacing Skype for Business?
Skype for Business Online will retire on July 31, 2021. Reference article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/faq-journey.
What can Teams do?
Teams are groups where faculty, students and guests can communicate, collaborate, and share in real-time. Teams are private and limited to members. To create a team at this time you need to use O-Key. Below are some of Team's features.
Channels are dedicated areas of content in a team to help keep things organized. Channels can be either standard or private. Standard channels are open to all members of the team. Private channels are limited to certain members of the team.
Chat and Collaboration
Chat can range from one-on-one messages to group messages with collaboration through the ability to access, share, and edit files in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Watch a video about starting and pinning chats.
Meeting and Calling
Meetings can be over audio or video and allows meeting from any place. Meetings allow for sharing screens and can be recorded. Watch a video on how to join meetings.
Microsoft Teams data is encrypted at rest and in transit. This in turn makes it more
difficult for hackers to listen or intercept your work.
Teams license is provided when O-Key account is provisioned. A current role is required to retain access. If you receive a message “You’re missing out! Ask your admin to enable..” see the FAQ ‘How do I enable Teams?’
Use Microsoft Teams by using either the web client or desktop client.
To use the Web Client go to https://teams.microsoft.com/.
To use Desktop Client see the FAQ below 'How do I use Teams desktop client?'
Create a Team by creating a Microsoft Group in O-key. Teams are based on Microsoft Groups. See FAQ 'How do I create a new team'.
Teams guest access gives people outside the organization access to teams and channels.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I enable Teams?
- How do I use Teams desktop client?
- How do I access team mailbox, calendar, or files?
- How do I call in to a meeting?
- How do I schedule a meeting?
- How do I start a meeting?
- How to join the meeting?
- How to record a meeting or call?
To start recording, go to the meeting controls and select More options More options button > Start recording.
Everyone in the meeting will be notified that recording has started.
To stop recording, go to the meeting controls and select More options More options button > Stop recording.
The recording will be processed (which could take a while) and saved to Microsoft OneDrive and SharePoint, and then it will be ready to play.The person who started the recording will receive an email from Microsoft when the recording is available. The recording will also show up in the meeting chat—or in the channel, if you’re meeting in a channel.
How do I use live captions in a Teams meeting?
Click to learn more (Desktop and Mobile Instructions)
- Which internet browsers are compatible with the Microsoft Teams web interface?
The internet browsers that are compatible with the Microsoft Teams web interface are Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Apple Safari. Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox are not compatible and some features may be limited.
- How do I share my screen in a Microsoft Teams meeting from my Android Mobile Device?
- How do I share my screen in a Microsoft Teams meeting from my iPhone Mobile Device?
- How do I accept a Microsoft Teams Meeting invite and share my screen from a Microsoft Windows computer?
- How do I accept a Microsoft Teams Meeting invite and share my screen from an Apple Mac OS computer?
Manage Team Groups
- How do I create a new team?
- How do students create a new team?
- How do I add Members?
- How do I remove Members?
- How do I add or remove owners?
- How do I delete a team?
Microsoft Team Groups can only be deleted by an owner through the Microsoft Groups page in the Owner’s O-Key account.
An owner of the Microsoft Team Group will need to do the following:
Login to okstate.edu using O-Key account credentials.
From the O-Key profile page, click “Microsoft Groups” from the left-hand side menu.
Go to section “Groups you own”.
Select the group to be deleted.
Click the “Delete Group” button at the bottom of the Teams Group page.
- How do I request a deleted team be restored?
- How do I restore a deleted team channel?
- How do I restore a deleted team file?
- How do I restore a deleted recording?Recordings will expire by policy 1828 days (5 years) after recording. When a recording is deleted due to the auto-expiration setting, the end user will be notified via email. The SharePoint tenant or site admin, or the end user with edit/delete permissions will be able to retrieve the file from the recycle bin for up to 90 days.
- Is Microsoft Teams always listening or activated by voice commands?
MS Teams is not self-listening and does not self-activate to listen or record anything.
- Does Microsoft Teams pick up audio and video from the microphone and camera when the
application is open but not using the chat or video features?The audio clips could only be used if the settings were enabled. OSU has not enabled these features. However, if an unscheduled meeting is initiated from within a chat, the camera will self-activate. You may then turn off the video camera and capture if not desired or needed.
- What access does OSU have to save or view the data produced, or shared and saved in
Teams?MS Teams is discoverable under eDiscovery searches. Here is a document covering the different searchable components. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/ediscovery-investigation
- What choices does OSU make for users regarding personal settings such as advertising,
in individual Microsoft Office.com accounts?OSU does not allow advertising in our tenant. All profile information other than the users photograph is controlled through the users O-Key account settings.
- Is Microsoft Teams data subject to law enforcement or FOIA requests?The MS Teams data would fall under the same request criteria as email.
- What is the retention policy for departmental Teams or individual group data in MS
- Current data policy is to apply Legal Holds for email accounts belonging to Faculty and Staff.
- MS Teams Chats along with deleted Outlook email, are retained for 3 years. They are then permanently deleted provided there is no legal hold in place.
- Recorded Meetings and Audio/Video Calls are retained for 1828 days or 5 years and 1 day.
- All other data is discoverable during eDiscovery searches and retained indefinitely.